Monday, January 24, 2011

Angry Birds: Review

Angry Birds should be outlawed - it's that addictive. I've spent so many years steeped in the tradition of "hardcore gaming" (I shudder even thinking about that phrase, but I suppose it's useful for this discussion) that I rarely gave much consideration to the more "casual" side of things...

That all changed when I purchased my iPad. The crushing realization that I had been missing out on all of these wonderful little games for years was enough to make me go out and buy a whole slew of them during my first day of ownership. As great as a lot of these games are, Angry Birds is somewhere at the head of the pack, showing players how fun a simple game can be and (perhaps more importantly) showing developers a little something about game design.
The premise of the game is fairly straightforward for the genre, pitting hilariously designed characters against one another in a fantastic scenario; this time around, we find out that birds despise pigs and will stop at nothing to kill them. This conflict plays out in a series of kamikaze dive-bombing incidents over which the player has control.

You launch the birds by pulling back on a slingshot, but don't mistake this for some cop-out game mechanic when touching the screen merely triggers a static animation. Instead, your touch and finger movement directly control both the angle and power of the slingshot as you might in real life. Combining this hidden depth with the stead progression of new units, structures, and power-ups, it quickly becomes apparent that Rovio Mobile have left the door wide open for as much strategy as you can muster. There's room for tons of creativity here. Angry Birds, at its heart, uses a physics engine to fuel some wonderfully emergent gameplay despite its fairly basic trappings.

The bottom line: During my fit of game purchases, I initially planned on giving Angry Birds only a few moments of my time since there were lots of other games to test. Of course, things played out far differently, and I ended up spending an entire trip between Indiana and California obsessively tapping away at my iPad screen. I got some strange looks on the plane (including from my wife who was sitting next to me), but I was having far too much fun to care.

If I had to pick only three games on my iPad, Angry Birds would absolutely, 100% make the cut as one of them, and I've only given you the tip of the iceberg. I hope you'll stop by my site in the resource block below to read the full review of Angry Birds as well as some of the other apps that I consider "must buys!"

Nick is a music composer and iPad gaming enthusiast that loves writing iPad app reviews. Check out his full Angry Birds review for more about why this game is a must-have!

No comments:

Post a Comment